The new watches available on the market are more than just a timepiece. The watch can be your phone, gives you weather forecast and wakes you up in the morning. Are you into sports it can also be your personal trainer. Here we have the best smart watch for running packed with fitness, sports apps, and GPS tracking. The sports smart watches reviewed here can keep track of your distance, steps, heart rate, calories burned and more. Therefore, if you are an athlete in need of a smart wearable view the top 10 best fitness smartwatches you can buy. Whether you are a runner, gym fanatic, or in need of keeping track of your fitness, we are, sure you will find a suitable one here with us.
Also see: Best Waterproof Smartwatch in 2021
Best Smart Watch for Running In 2021
10. Garmin Forerunner 15
Garmin remains one of the top contenders when it comes to making fitness watches. You can see this in the Forerunner 15 a devoted, smartwatch for the athlete. You can track your pace, calories, distance and use it with an optional heart rate monitor. For the health fanatic, it reminds you when it is time to move and tracks your fitness goals indoors and outdoors.
- Available in an assortment of colors
- Keeps track of your calories burned, pace, distance, and you can share your activities online
- Has GPS tracking and you can use it with an optional heart rate monitor
- Can use it with a foot pod to record your distance indoors
- Built-in rechargeable battery with up to 8-hours use with the GPS on
- The water rating of the Forerunner 15 is 5ATM and can be submerged in 50-meters of water
- Has a 0.98 x 0.94-inch display and weighs 1.44 ounces
9. TomTom Spark 3
Here we have another GPS Fitness Watch made for the serious athlete. You can measure your pace, distance, time, and it gives you live stats. Inside the watch is an activity tracker to capture your active minutes, calories, burned, your sleep, and much more. You can set up goals for yourself and soon you will have over 50 workouts available to use.
- Available in Aqua or Black
- Offers you 24/7 activity tracking and phone notifications
- Has a waterproof design up to 40-meters
- Presents you with multiple sports modes and personalized workouts
- Has route exploration with advanced training modes
- You get access to the TomTom Sports Companion App
- The watch straps customizable
- When used in non-GPS mode, you get up to 11-hours of use
- Suitable to connect to your iPhone and Android
8. TomTom Runner Smart Watch
Do you need the best smart watch for running at a reasonable price? You need the TomTom Runnermade for the active athlete. You can use the timepiece with GPS to keep track of your distance, calories burned, and pace. Receive live stats of your progress. The display is large and has a one-button control with a lightweight design made for joggers.
- You can pick your favorite color from four watch styles
- Designed with GPS Running to keep track of your progress with live stats
- Can use the QuickGPSFix to find a location quickly
- Has a lightweight design with a large display and one control button
- You can pair it with a heart rate monitor strap and provides you different training programs
- Connects wirelessly to your computer to upload data
- The TomTom Graphical Training Partner helps you to achieve your goals
- Can use it indoors while running on the treadmill
- 5ATM waterproof and has a battery life of up to 10-hours in GPS mode
7. Polar M400 Smart Watch
The Polar M400 is a smart watch for running and with you every step of the way. You get built-in GPS and present you with running cadence right on your wrist. It shows your recovery status and offers training targets. You can customize the sports profiles and it has a running index and program. The watch will notify from your phone and alerts you when you are inactive.
- Four color styles available
- Keeps you social with the smart notifications and alerts you when you are not moving
- You get access to a free app and web service
- Keeps track of your progress 24/7 and you can also keep track of your sleep pattern
- Built-in smart heart rate sensor and you can follow your progress with Polar Flow
- The watch weighs 0.32 ounces
6. Garmin Vivoactive Smartwatch
With the following smartwatch for running, you get an ultra-thin design with a high-resolution display. The color touchscreen displays visible to read in sunlight and GPS-enabled. You can keep track of different sports activities from golf to swimming. Pair it with your phone to receive smart notifications and more.
- Available in black or white
- The timepiece has an ultra-thin design with color touchscreen
- Built-in GPS to keep track of running, swimming, biking and more
- Connects to your smartphone to keep up to date with notifications when working out
- The battery lasts up to 10-hours in GPS mode
- Can pair it with a heart rate monitor chest strap
- Incorporated into the smartwatch is sports apps to track your activity stats
- 5ATM water rating suitable for swimming
- You can control tunes on your phone or music players
- Wireless connections up to 30-feet
5. Motorola Moto 360 Sport Smartwatch
Here we have another stylish, smart watch for running. Connect it to your smartphone and receive notifications on your wrist. The watch face has a round design with edge-to-edge glass and thin bezel. The quick release band you can swap out with the Moto 360 2nd Gen straps. Use the Moto Body fitness tracker to keep stats of your calories, heart rate, steps, and more.
- Available in black, white, and red
- You can stay connected with your smartphone to receive notifications on your wrist
- Has a round design with edge-to-edge glass and thin bezel
- The band you can swap out with the 2nd Gen Moto 360 straps
- Keep track of your health and fitness with the Moto Body fitness tracker
- Built-in GPS for real-time tracking
- IP67 rated against water splashes and dust
- Has a built-in dual digital microphone
You might be also like: Running Fanny Pack
4. Garmin Forerunner 225
The Garmin Forerunner 225 is the best smartwatch for running. The fitness watch presents you with colorful graphics interfaces to track pace, distance, heart rate and much more. There is an accelerometer built-in to keep track of your distance when running indoors. The timepiece automatically connects to the Garmin Connect for live tracking.
- Available in black
- Built-in GPS tracking and connects to Garmin Connect for live tracking
- You can view your data in the colorful graphics display
- When saving your run data it updates automatically to your smartphone when in range
- Has a wrist-based heart rate sensor
- Customize your goals and workouts
3. Garmin Forerunner 235
The Garmin Forerunner 235 is another fitness smartwatch with a wrist-based heart rate sensor and GPS tracking. The Transflective Memory-in-Pixel screens visible in daylight and you can customize the watch according to your needs. When connected to your smartphone, you receive audio prompts including laps and lap times.
- Available in black
- Designed with GPS and a wrist-based heart rate sensor
- Has a large screen to keep track of your training
- Receive audio prompts when connected to your smartphone
- Has a battery life up to 11-hours in GPS mode
- Provides you with a VO2 estimate of oxygen needed during your activity
2. Sony Fitness Smart Watch
The smart watch for running has a white classic band with an IP68 water protection. The watch has an Android Wear platform with apps available to keep track of your health and fitness. The timepiece has built-in ambient light, compass, accelerometer, GPS, and Gyro sensors.
- Available in white
- IP68 water protected
- Built-in accelerometer, ambient light, GPS, Gyro, Compass
- Receive notifications and voice commands with the Android Wear platform
- Can use it with voice control and you can use it offline by uploading music and more
1. Suunto Ambit3 Sports Watch
To receive updated information on your speed, heart rate, distance, and more you need the Suunto Ambit3 smartwatch for running. The timepiece has a fantastic battery to use up to 100-hours and it even records your heart rate while swimming. No matter what sports you take part in the Ambit3 is your health and fitness tracker that is always by your side.
- Available in red, black and blue
- Suitable to use with different sports activities
- Built-in GPS for real-time fitness tracking
- Plan your workouts with the Suunto Movescount App and get voice guidance
- Do a recovery test and use the route navigation
- 5ATM water rated and suitable to keep track of your heart rate when swimming
- Rechargeable battery with up to 25-hours in GPS mode
Don’t forget to check out: Smartwatches for Men
Best Smartwatch for Running and the Benefits of Using One
When it comes to using, the best smartwatch for running each specialist has his or her thoughts if you should or not use one. What is important is that you try not to laze around on the couch and get your body moving.
The reason as running has loads to offer for your health whether you wear a smart timepiece or not. So are you still sitting down and considering taking up jogging?
On the other hand, are you trying to decide if you need a running smartwatch? Find all the information here to get you started.
What are the Health Benefits of Running?
For the best way to get into shape, running is ideal as every part of the body moves. However, the benefits of running are more than just getting into shape. Here are six reasons why running is beneficial for you:
Improves your health – with running, you can improve your overall health as it raises the level of good cholesterol. Furthermore, it increases the lung capacity and boosts the immune system preventing the development of blood clots.
Keeps diseases away – for lowering the risk of breast cancer running is the best reason for a woman to start taking up the sports. A fact is whether you are in the early stages of high blood pressure, osteoporosis, or diabetes by taking a casual run lessens the risk of you getting a heart attack.
Improves weight loss – are you trying to lose some pounds then taking a run helps you lose weight. As you jog, you burn calories per minute, burning the weight down.
Boosts confidence – while running boosts you physically, it also gives you self-esteem. You set out the goals you want to achieve, and once you reach it, you feel happier.
Stress reliever – are you stressed after a long day at work get your running shoes on and take a long run. You will feel much better as it reduces stress, builds an appetite, and improves the quality of sleep.
Can help eliminate depression – yes, we know when you are depressed; you do not feel like running. However, start walking and build up speed, as you will find your brain starts to secrete hormones to improve your mood.
As you can see, running does not only improve the body; it also helps boost the mind.
So how much running is right for your health?
Here fitness experts agree to disagree how much mileage is right for you. One fact is that running helps improve the longevity of your life.
However, to answer the question, a research study in 2015 found even when you do moderate running for up to ten minutes a day helps prevent you from dying of heart disease.
Further, running faster and stronger is not the same as making the body better. Now, this is where the debate comes in too how much you need to run.
These days more people are taking part in marathons, and ultra-marathons made up of long distances. Therefore, setting a goal to either maximize your endurance and speed is different from planning longevity. The problem is that even marathon athletes can die of a heart attack.
Therefore, you need to consider different things from eating healthy, not doing excessive strenuous exercise (depending on your health), getting enough rest, and keeping the body hydrated.
So according to statistics you should not run for more than 30-miles or 4.5-hours per week if you want to bolster your health. Now that you know that running for only 10-minutes helps improve your health should you get a running smartwatch.
Why You Need a Smartwatch for Running?
If you are only running short, distances having a smartwatch for running might not be advisable. However, if you run long distances every day, getting a running smartwatch might be what you need.
On the other hand, wearing a tracking timepiece does have its benefits, and it does more than keep track of your running. So the question remains do you need a fitness tracker, smartwatch or a GPS running watch? The truth is that all three of them have essential functions in common:
Keeps track of your daily activity from sleep, steps walked, heart rate, calories burned and more
Helps measure your distance for biking, hiking, running and other activities
Notifies you of notifications, phone calls, and alarms directly from your smartphone
Are you about accuracy for pace?
If you want to do distance tracking without using your smartphone, a smartwatch for running is the best solution. With the GPS function, you get accurate readings on how fast you are running.
Furthermore, it offers a secure synchronization using the satellites compared to your phone or any other fitness device. To top it all if the connection is lost, the timepiece informs you.
Even the interface with sweaty hands is more accessible as the watch has dedicated buttons for different functions. Sometimes you can also get four total stats, and the metrics are advanced.
You can even get one with a heart-rate monitor strap and cycling sensors. Then again, you can use the smartwatch for running with different other activities as well.
The running smartwatch can track your daily activity level and keep you moving.
Fitness trackers come highly recommended to track daily activities, but a smartwatch dedicated to marathon runners works just as well. The timepiece you can wear to work and out but you will need to be satisfied with the big display on the wrist.
Furthermore, you can connect it to your smartphone to receive notifications at the same time. You can also use it to track steps and your sleep. Conversely, you can also adjust the watch face and notifications to your needs.
Therefore, with the latest smartwatches for running, you can now count steps, calories, have GPS, measure the heart rate, receive notifications, and so much more.
A fact is that the watch does the math for you making it easier for you not to do the calculations yourself. So if you want to calculate how fast you have run to reach your next goal, the smartwatch can help.
Special Features to Look For When Purchasing a Smartwatch for Running
Smartwatch companies for running are continually improving the timepieces function and style. Using a GPS Smartwatch can help you to improve your running and other activities you do.
These devices have different apps made for running to assist you with your workouts. Here are some functions you can look for when buying a running smartwatch:
Find a smartwatch for running with built-in fitness functions like GPS and a heart rate sensor.
Choosing a timepiece that can work independently of your smartphone is another exceptional option. Furthermore, make sure the watch can work with the latest Google Wear OS platform, iPhones, and Android devices.
Check the battery use as a hybrid smartwatch with an analog design tends to offer you prolonged use.
For running, you need a watchband able to withstand sweat, and the buckle must be easy to use. Further, make sure you can swap the straps as well.
Preferably, choose a watch that you can use the screen with ease as sweaty hands do not always work well on a touchscreen. Getting a smartwatch for running with a combo approach from touch display and a digital crown is the best option.
If you want, a smartwatch to use for running the device needs to have access to a wide selection of applications and watch faces.
Normal Smartwatch vs. Smartwatch for Running
Before we get to the comparison between the two smart devices, let us explain a bit more about each wearable. The smartwatch is built to use computing applications from messaging, health, music, games, and more.
Furthermore, it works with an operating system allowing you access to use a wide selection of apps while paired to your smartphone.
A smartwatch for running takes it a step further, offers you two primary purposes to provide accurate information about your training, and collects data to analyze and display it for you.
Furthermore, it also works with an operating system but optimized to track sports activities like the Polar, Suunto, and Garmin watches.
Another difference between the two is the screen as the running watch relies more on the GPS function than providing you with a colorful display.
You also get built-in features like the heart rate sensor, altimetric barometer, and thermometer to reflect variations immediately to track your activities from trail running session to interval training workouts.
What’s more, a smartwatch for running has internal storage to download and store a wide selection of sports apps while working in the background.
So if you need a smartwatch made for running and other sports activities in mind choosing a GPS sport watch is the one to have. The wearable’s designed for tracking your every move and offers a high level of customization options to access your information.
With the best smartwatch for running, there is no more need for using different devices to track your health & fitness progress. The sports watch reviews here present you with waterproof designs, long-lasting battery use, built-in GPS and so much more. Pick a multi-sports watch today, and throw away all the other gadgets keeping you back.