How many times have you looked at the night sky and wanted to see the moon up close? Many times, especially when standing outside and the sky is open and lit up with bright shining stars. So how do you achieve this? You do this, by buying the best refractor telescope for yourself. Why, because it allows you to view faint outer space objects and the solar system. This device is one of the oldest types of telescopes you can find online. They are easy to use and need no maintenance and provide you with a sharp and clear view. To save you the hassle of finding a suitable one, we have done the job for you by picking the top 10 best refractor telescopes in 2018 right here.
Also see: Best Portable Telescope in 2018
Top 10 Best Refractor Telescopes
10. DoubleSun Refractor Telescope
For a kid-friendly refractor telescope, you can look at the DoubleSun model. You can your child will have fun putting this device together and once you have a full view of the moon the excitement will grow. The product is lightweight and portable to take on vacation with you and makes a wonderful toy for kids and adults.
- Has a 60mm aperture with 700mm focal length and the f/5.7 focal ratio
- The optics have a multilayer green glass coating to protect your eyes and enhances image brightness
- You receive a 1.25-inch 10mm smartphone eyepiece adapter to capture images of the moon, planets, and stars
- The aluminum alloy tripods adjustable and mounts with an Altazimuth fixture with slow-motion control
- Suitable for celestial and land viewing
9. Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ
The PowerSeeker 80EQ is a marvelous telescope you can buy for fewer than 200. Once you have it setup properly and balanced you are ready to view the outer space and have fun. With added upgrades, you can improve your viewing pleasures and the moon looks fantastic through it. You can even observe deeper space and great for beginners to use.
- Has an 80mm aperture with a 900mm focal length
- The focal ratio is 11 and you receive two eyepieces included a 4mm and 20mm
- With the 3x Barlow lens and 5×24 Finderscope, you get the outstanding magnification
- The device comes with a German Equatorial Mount with Erect Image Diagonal
- You can use it for land and celestial viewing
- Included is an aluminum tripod with accessory tray
8. Orion Observer 80ST Telescope
With the Observer 80ST Refractor Telescope, you can explore the planets in the deep sky at a low-cost. What makes it so unique is the portable and petite design to take it along with you on adventures. You get a sharp and bright wide field of view and the included Equatorial Mount with adjustable tripod gives you a smooth slow motion to track objects.
- With the 80mm aperture, you can look into the deep sky and observe planets from afar
- Has a compact design with a bright wide field of view
- The refractor telescopes ready to use out of the box with the EQ-1B mount
- You receive an adjustable tripod with slow motion movement to track objects
- Extras included are the star diagonal, 2 x 1.25-inch eyepieces, the Orion MoonMap 260, and a red dot reflex sight
7. Celestron ExploraScope
For the beginner astronomer, the Celestron ExploraScope is one of the best refractor telescopes online. You will find it simple to assemble and will need to align the finder scope included. You receive two lenses a 20mm and 4mm one offering you a low and high magnification. The tripod is weightless and can become cumbersome, as it is a bit large, but should not restrict you from moving it around.
- The refractor telescope has a slow-motion rod to give you precise control with pointing accuracy
- You can navigate through the sky with the Finderscope, but it does need aligning and has a red dot illumination
- Suitable to use for daytime and astronomical viewing
- Include a 3x Barlow lens and two eyepieces
- Available in different models and you can download the SkyPortal app on your smartphone to locate celestial objects
6. Celestron Inspire 100AZ Refracting Telescope
Are you an intermediate astronomer in need of a refracting telescope? Here we have the Inspire 100AZ that offers you a large aperture and has a short tube with a wide field of view. The optic glass has a fully coated structure and it has an altazimuth mount with an asymmetrical design. The included tripod is sturdy and has a fold-up accessory tray with built-in smartphone adapter. The fantastic thing is you can secure your smartphone with two bungee cords to capture high-powered images with your phone.
- Fantastic entry-level telescope with a folding accessory tray
- The main lens cap has a built-in smartphone adapter to capture images of celestial objects
- The mount has an asymmetrical design that is lightweight
- You can view day or night objects with the erect image optic
- Built-in red LED flashlight in the center of the mount head and illuminates the accessory tray and you can remove it to use as a spotlight
- With the focus micrometer, you can return to a focus point or targets
5. Explore Scientific Refractor Telescope
Do you need a quality refractor telescope that is similar to the Orion, pick this one here. The FirstLight has a white refractor tube with a 1000mm focal length and 40mm drawtube focuser. The device is easy to set up with the EXOS Nano EQ Mount and include some fantastic eyepieces with a red-dot finder and smartphone adapter.
- Designed with a 1000mm focal length and 40mm focuser
- Mounts with an EXOS Nano EQ mount
- You receive the 1.25-inch 90° diagonal eyepiece with a 25mm Plossl eyepiece
- The unit has a red-dot finder and comes with a smartphone adapter to capture images
4. Gskyer Refractor Telescope
You will easily set up the Gskyer Astronomical Refractor Telescope in ten minutes. The instructions included are easy to follow and you will have it sitting in the den waiting for nightfall in no time. The only thing you will have to do is align the spotter scope outside and once working you will see out to Jupiter, Saturn, the moon, and back. The included tripods not cheaply made and have a heavy weight plus the three eyepieces and 3x Barlow lens offer you enough magnification and a view.
- The aperture is 90mm and it has a 600mm focal length
- Designed with a rack-and-pinion focuser
- You get a low 25mm, medium 10mm, high 5mm eyepiece with the 3x Barlow lens included
- The glass lens is fully multi-coated and the aluminum tripod is adjustable with an accessory tray
- The Altazimuth mounts easy to use and offers you slow motion control
- One-year Warranty
3. Celestron Omni XLT AZ102
Nothing comes easier to set up than the Celestron Omni XLT AZ102 Refractor Telescope. The scope has a lightweight design with the AZ mount and you can move it around with ease. In the beginning, the adjustment knobs might seem flimsy, but they work well and offer you a smooth movement in any direction. The moon filter is not included and we recommend you buy one, as it will help reduce the intensity of light from the moon. Furthermore, if you want to filter out the ambient light purchase yourself the Celestron 1.25-inch UHC/LPR Filter as well.
- Equipped with a manual slow-motion altazimuth mount
- Can use it to track terrestrial and celestial objects
- The optic is fully coated and offers you a 102mm aperture with a wide field of view
- With the single arm design, you can point in any direction to view objects
- Include a StarPointer Pro Finderscope with the dual-circle reticle and red dot
- Has an erect image optics and include a 25mm Plossl eyepiece
2. Carson Red Planet Telescope
The refractor telescope from Carson has fully coated optics with a heavy-duty tripod included. The Equatorial Mount prevents shaking and movement when used and has a set of circles to dial in latitude and longitude. You can view the rings of Saturn and much more with the Red Planet Telescope.
- Has a 90mm aperture with a 1000mm focal length
- The magnifications up to 100x and weighs 21.8 lbs
- Equipped with an Equatorial Mount
- You receive a 20mm and 9mm eyepiece with a 90-degree corner lens and adjustable tripod
- The Finderscope is a 6x30mm one
- One-year Warranty
1. Orion AstroView Refractor Telescope
For a classic refractor telescope offering you crisp, clear views of the moon and planets you need the AstroView. For the price, you get a remarkable product with multi-coated 90mm objective lens and have a 910mm focal length. The tube is made of aluminum and you can view deep sky images easily. To make your viewing even better, you receive two Sirius Plossl eyepieces and it is equipped with a 6x30mm finder.
- Designed with a 90mm aperture and 910mm focal length
- Equipped with an EQ-2 adjustable tripod and mount for slow motion control
- Include two Sirius Plossl 1.25-inch eyepieces a 10mm and 25mm
- Comprise a 6×30 Finderscope with a smooth adjusting rack-and-pinion focuser
- Can use it for daytime and nighttime viewing when you buy the correct image diagonal
- One-year Warranty
Finding the best refactor telescope is not difficult. With our telescope review list here, you can find a classic optic to view from the moon, stars, planets, to deep-sky observation. You might even find a new planet, no one has ever known existed. If you cannot find an affordable one on the list, check our best telescope reviews out here as we have a wide selection available for you to choose.
Also see: Best Home Telescope in 2018