Has the stargazing bug bitten you? Do you love the outdoors and need the best portable telescope for traveling? You have come to the right place. We have selected some of the finest pieces of equipment for you to make your selection easier. We know the market has some great stationary models, but for roaming in the outdoors, you need a compact, lightweight, and powerful one to achieve the best results when navigating the stars. However, if you want a starter telescope to take with on vacation and still be able to capture images you must be prepared – check our top 10 best travel portable telescopes out here.
Top Best Portable Telescope
10. Orion GoScope II Refractor Telescope
Do you enjoy going on camping trips? Why not pack in the Orion GoScope II and take it with you. The family can enjoy stargazing in the open spaces with this portable telescope. You receive a nice travel bag to keep all the accessories inside and safe. The only thing you will want to do is buy stronger eyepieces such as a 6.3mm, 3.6mm, and a 2-x extender. You receive a 10mm one included that allows you to view the craters on the moon. There is enough storage space in the bag for the tripod, telescope, and extra accessories.
- You can use the refractor telescope for daytime and nighttime viewing
- Affordable price that includes the entry-level telescope, travel bag, aluminum tripod, 5×24 finder scope and two eyepieces
- The aperture is 70mm and it has a focal length of 400mm
- The tripod you can adjust to different heights and you get the Orion MoonMap 260 in the package
- Weighs 3.5 lbs
9. Twin Star AstroMark Refractor Telescope
Your kids will love you when surprising them with the AstroMark portable telescope on your next camping trip. The backpack bundle has a fantastic price. Included you receive the telescope, two eyepieces, a finder scope, mini tripod, and the custom travel bag. Whether you are hunting, bird watching, cityscape gazing this travel telescope is ideal to take anywhere.
- Has an 80mm spotting scope with 400mm focal length
- The primary objective lens is fully coated and perfect for any lighting condition
- Suitable for daytime and deep space astronomy
- Include two Kellner eyepieces, mini tripod, and backpack
- The included mount also fits a photographic tripod
8. National Parks Foundation TravelScope
As a starter, portable telescope the National Parks Foundation TravelScope is more than ideal to use at the price point sold. The device is easy to setup and takedown and comes included with a tripod and backpack. The amazing thing is you can even see craters and when viewed in a crescent state without a moon filter. You can use the optic for daytime and nighttime viewing.
- Is a special edition design and comes with a coated glass lens
- Can use it for celestial and terrestrial viewing
- Comes with a custom bag that fits the telescope and tripod
- Can upgrade it with a compass and LED flashlight
- 60mm Refractor Telescope
- Weighs under 5 pounds
7. Levenhuk Strike 90 PLUS Telescope
Are you an outgoing person interested in seeing Jupiter’s moons, or the rings of Saturn standing on top of City Hall? We recommend you get this portable refractor telescope kit. The image quality is fantastic and it is easy to assemble. The only downside is the instruction manual and best to view a series of photos on their website here. You can also find assembly videos available on YouTube. The nice thing is the device has a solid construction and the technology is impressive. Even the kit with accessories is dazzling and adds quality to the package.
- The objective lens diameter is 90mm
- Has a focal length of 600mm
- Suitable for celestial and terrestrial viewing
- Designed with an altazimuth mount and steel tripod
- Include a 1.25-inch focuser, two eyepieces, a zoom eyepiece, red dot finder scope, diagonal mirror, and 3x Barlow lens
- There is a compass and waterproof telescope case
- Weighs 19.8 lbs
6. Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker Telescope
For the best portable telescope, you need the Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker. The problem is that it has captured a lot of conflict in forums, but we are here to fix this. You can align the telescope with your eye and do not need a laser tool, as it is not as powerful as the expensive scopes available on the market. You get the finder scope included but does take some time and patience to line it up and it is replaceable. Another added accessory is the Barlow lens to improve magnification. The only thing that is not included is a travel bag.
- Include a 3x Barlow lens, aluminum tripod, accessory tray, and two eyepieces
- Designed with a no-tool setup and with the Barlow lens you can enhance your view
- The telescope has slow motion controls with smooth tracking and erect image optics for land and celestial viewing
- The optics fully coated to give a high transmission
- Has a durable equatorial mount for tracking objects in the night sky and is collapsible
- Has a Newtonian Reflector Optical Design
- The aperture is 127mm and has a 1000mm focal length
- Weighs 17 lbs with a two-year warranty
5. Orion StarBlast Travel Refractor Telescope
Here we have another compact telescope to take with on hunting trips, fishing trips, camping, and more. The StarBlast has a petite design with a deluxe foam-lined hard carrying case. The build is exceptional and looks great to look at and through it. You can use it for any type of observation of distant wildlife to the moon. The lightweight design and included accessories make for a great buy and worth every cent spent.
- The aperture is 62mm and it has a four-element lens system for detailed views
- Designed with a Crawford focuser with 45-degree correct-image diagonal
- Include two Plossl eyepieces a 4mm and 20mm
- The telescope is compatible with any 1.25-inch eyepiece
- Can adjust the focus and you get a hard case included
- Weighs 3.1 lbs and is equipped with a narrow Vixen-style dovetail mounting block
- Can mount it on a standard or photo tripod
- Has a built-in T-adapter barrel to use with a camera and other accessories
4. Celestron NexStar Computerized Telescope
With the NexStar, you get a portable telescope and offer you more light gathering power. The only downside is that you will have to align it occasionally with a collimation eyepiece. You will have no trouble fine-tuning the optic. Once done the images are sharp and offers you the best viewing experience. As it is a computerized model, the biggest drawback is the battery consumption, so best to take many batteries with you on your trip. An alternative is to buy a PowerTank battery.
- The aperture is 130mm and it has a focal length of 650mm
- You can use it with 2-inch eyepieces, but do receive a 25mm and 9mm eyepiece included
- You will have to set up the hand control and align the finderscope
- Equipped with a motorized altazimuth star pointer mount
- The telescope has a built-in database and comes with SkyAlign to align any three bright celestial objects
- Weighs 2 lbs
- Include a tripod
3. Celestron Regal M2 Spotting Scope
Now you may be wondering why we have added the Regal M2 Spotting Scope into the mix of portable telescopes. We have done this for a good reason, as the device is great to use for hunting and suitable to view celestial objects as well. The unit has an ED objective lens that helps minimize chromatic aberration. At the same time, it increases the contrast and resolution. Celestron has used a fantastic lens coating to give you a sharp and vivid image when viewing outer space. In addition, the best of all you can use it with Astronomy eyepieces.
- Made with ED Objective Lens and is fully multi-coated
- Can use 1.25-inch Astronomy eyepieces with it
- Has dual speed focusing with an included T-mount adapter to use with your DSLR camera
- Designed with a rotating tripod mount
- You receive a padded case, objective cover, storage cover, eyepiece cover, eyepiece port, cleaning cloth, and the T-mount adapter
- Has a twist eyecup with 20mm eye relief
- The device is waterproof and weighs 5 pounds
2. SkyWatcher GoTo Collapsible Dobsonian Telescope
The SkyWatcher is one of the best portable telescopes you can buy. The tracking is amazing, as you do not have to track an object manually. For you, this is great, especially when used at a higher magnification. The setup of the GoTo scan system is easy and quick and it switches between manual moving and the GoTo quickly. You can collapse the tube for traveling.
- Newtonian Dobsonian styled telescope with a 203mm aperture
- The focal length is 1200mm
- Has a 2-inch single-speed Crayford focuser and include a 1.25-inch adaptor
- Needs no disassembling as the tube collapses and has a tension control handle
- Designed with a SynScan AZ hand control with the menu system and automatic slewing
- You receive a four-element Plossl 10mm and 20mm 1.25-inch eyepiece
1. Celestron CPC Deluxe Telescope
Yes, we know this portable telescope is expensive but is worth the attention. This is a serious telescope and one of the best Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes available. You get an exceptional two-year warranty, customer service and have a quality build. The EdgeHD optic is clear and great for astrophotography as well. The tripod and tray included are easy to set up and take down and adjustable.
- Made with an 8-inch EdgeHD Optic with StarBright XLT Coating
- Fully computerized with the NexStar Navigation System and SkyAlign object database
- Equipped with a 50mm Finder Scope and 40mm Plossl Eyepiece
- The device is FASTAR compatible and includes a durable tripod with tray
- Powered by eight small batteries and can charge via your car’s battery
- Has an Alt-Azimuth mount and adjustable plus the scope controls smooth and precise
- Also has GPS function and aligns with multiple methods
No matter what your needs are in travel telescopes to view celestial and terrestrial objects – you can find the best portable telescope here with us. You will find that each brand caters to your budget needs, durability, versatility, quality, and include some great extra accessories. However, if you need more than just a telescope we recommend you look at the Celestron spotting scope that offers you more than just astronomy use and great for hunting as well.