Welcome fearless adventurer, we want to help you drive off into the sunset for a car camping trip. Now stop and think with the best car camping tent you can turn any place into a comfortable campsite. Does that sound? Think you can load it in the trunk and transform your vehicle into a relaxing vacation spot while on the road. No matter where life takes, you make sure to pick one of these car camping tents reviewed here and start planning your next voyage.
Best Car Camping Tent In 2021
Top Best Car Camping Tents You Can Consider
20. Coleman Carlsbad Fast Pitch Dome Tent
For the overall best car camping tent with an intuitive design, the tepee gives you comfortable features. The Dark Room keeps the inside cool and comes with a separate porch area.
Furthermore, Coleman provides families with a unique structure made for adults and kids. Another massive benefit of the Dark Room walls with rainfly keeps the interior dim enough to sleep and keeps it cooler on warm days. Even the screened-in vestibule you find on the outside of the main tent.
The bug-free zone is enormous enough to fit a couple of camping chairs, and you can fit two queen size air mats or even five twin-sized one with enough room left for your gear. Setting up the tupik is quick, and everything folds up to tuck in the bag and zip shut.
The poles come pre-attached, and with the Instar-Clip suspension system, it makes the setup quick while the overall design is elegant. You also get a small zippered pocket with a slot to pass through cables. For small electronic items, the hanging pockets keep them dry.
- Visual appealing and looks cool
- The darkroom makes a huge difference to give you a deep sleep
- Holds up well in rain and wind
- Suitable for six people to use
- Fast Pitch helps setting up the tent quickly
- The pre-attached poles become tangled
19. Wenzel Shenanigans Teepee Camping Tent
Do you need the best low-cost car camping tent? Look at the Wenzel that sets up in minutes with the center pole system. The five-person tent has an affordable price and best used with a few campers in mind.
The overall space on the inside is roomy enough for adults to stand. Furthermore, the tupik offers enough ventilation with the venting system around the peak, allowing heat to rise but not suitable for cold conditions. Then again, it may not be the best car camping tent for downpours.
However, for a day at the beach, music festivals, and the park is perfect. One thing’s for sure the shelter provides enough air circulation with the square windows and gives a beautiful view.
- Easy to set up
- Ventilated for warm days
- Not made for cold and rainy days
You might be interested in this awesome: Outdoor Tents For Camping
18. Slumber Jack Roughhouse Tent
With Slumberjack, you get the best three-season car camping tent to keep you fresh and warm throughout the year. The rainfly zips down tight to keep you warm and opens up to let in fresh air when needed.
The low-profile design keeps it stable in windy conditions. The interior is roomy with the vertical walls and makes a living inside comfortable. The hiking poles props up the shade awning to provide covered space outdoors. Setting the tent up takes a couple of minutes compared to the other units on the list.
- Keeps you fresh in summer and warm in winter
- Has a wind-resistant profile
- The vertical walls help provide extra living space
- The learning curve to set the tent up
17. Kelty Gunnison Tent
For foul weather, you need the best car camping tent to keep you dry. The Kelty is one of those pop tents providing space for up to four people to sleep. You will have no problems being tent-bound with the domed shelter. The construction polyester and for providing fresh air it has a mesh upper.
The rainfly is a couple of inches above the dome, and any condensation flows out on the outside. Setting up and breaking down the tupek is quick. Furthermore, the structure folds down for backpacking as well if needed. The lightweight of 10.5 pounds is not ideal for long treks but suitable to carry short distances.
- Enough ventilation with the mesh panels
- Comfortable setup
- Available in different size options
- While advertised as a four-person tent is gets a bit cramped on the inside
16. Overnighter Camping Tent
The Roadie is an SUV tent providing you with a comfortable spot to relax. The shelter fits both mid to full-size vehicles and covers the rear passenger door. The canopy is retractable for providing shade. The installation is simple as it stretches around the door with an elastic cord.
The system helps, as you need no extra tools and comes with a dual zipper design to gain access through the window. The no-see-um screen with mesh construction keeps insects out. Furthermore, the tepee fits both sides of the SUV with a door width of 48-inches and a height of 61-inches.
Alternatively, you receive a handy pouch to keep the tent stored in the glove compartment.
- Offers a universal fit
- Quick to set up
- Offers easy access through the windows with the dual zipper design
- Keeps unwanted bugs out
- The poles are a bit rigid to use in the vent cover
15. KingCamp Car Tent
With the car camping tent, you get multiple uses and offers up to 80 square feet of space placed over the canopy of the vehicle. You can use the canopy to cover you, the family, and pets from the sun.
The Oxford fabric offers a durable weatherproof construction. Included you get the steel poles, nails, and ropes for ease of setting up.
When you fold the sunshade up, it measures 26.4-inches by 4.7-inches taking up little space in storage. However, the structures not suitable to use in windy conditions at all.
- Made well
- Great value
- Suitable to use at parties, fishing, and more for shade
- Lacks instructions on how to set the tent up
14. Sportz SUV Tent
For one of the excellent car camping tents for the SUV, the SPORTZ stands out for all the right reasons. With the collapsible shelter, you get a perfect balance between quality and price. The accommodation is roomy and big enough for a family of six. Furthermore, you can use the tent standing on its own or attach it to the vehicle.
Furthermore, the inside is comfortable for an adult to stand inside as well. The fiberglass poles offer stability in strong winds and simple to set up if you are one person alone. To keep the tupek secure, it comes with peg loops on each corner and comes with an adjustable sleeve.
- Enough headroom and space
- Sleeps up to six people
- Sets up quick
- Heavy for backpacking
13. Napier Backroadz Truck Tent
For affordable car-camping tents, the Napier has an excellent reputation and has an easy-to-setup structure. The canopy unfolds comfortably and by laying it flat and securing the corners to the wheel wells, bumper, and tailgate of your truck you have it set up.
Another unique feature is the floor that is sewn in to protect your goods from getting wet. The height of the headroom is 5 feet 5 inches and has four windows at the top. On the inside, you get an access panel to get items in the truck. Furthermore, it comes with a rainfly and covers the opening side to keep moisture out.
- Suitable to use with most pickup models
- Quick to set the tent up
- Keeps you warm and dry
- Sewn-in floor with access at the back to the inside of the truck
- While available in different measurements finding the right size for you trucks difficult
12. Rightline Truck Bed Tent
The car camping tent comes with a floor-less structure, and the setup is quick. The fantastic thing with the construction is you do not even have to remove the gear when setting it up. The nylon buckles provide durability while each pole is color-coded and fits in the pole pockets.
You can enjoy a comfortable sleep with the water-resistant fabric sealed with PU and fits two adults comfortably. To keep moisture out, it has a rainfly and stores away in the stuff sack. On the inside are hanging hooks with a sky view and even the zippers glow in the dark for ease of use.
- Keeps you dry
- Color-coded poles for making the setup comfortable
- Durable construction
- The zippers are dainty so handle with care
11. Smittybilt Overlander Tent
Do you enjoy doing backcountry adventures? You need the car camping tent that attaches to the roof your truck. The 600D ripstop polyester construction is durable and keeps annoying insects out.
For added space, the annex attaches to the bottom section of the shelter. Included you get a telescopic ladder made with a robust PVC construction.
Furthermore, it comes with a double mattress and can sleep up to three people. To keep the tepee dry the PVC cover make sure of that. Alternatively, you can purchase the annex with a removable floor separately.
- Excellent quality
- Has four inner pockets with a shoe bag
- Included LED lights
- Two skylights to enjoy viewing the night sky
- Works well for light rain but not recommended for monsoon weather
10. Front Runner Roof Top Tent
To sleep two people comfortable the car camp tent from Front Runner is ideal to use. The interior is vast enough for a full-size mattress. Furthermore, it opens smoothly with one motion, and the low profile reduces air resistance. You get a bed included, and the three-window design gives you an unobstructed view.
Further, it has zippered panels on all the windows and doors for privacy. The aluminum ladder retracts with the foot threads for getting up and down from the vehicle. The Oxford fabric is breathable, weather-resistant, and fireproof. On the other hand, the shelters mounted to an aluminum base with HD flysheet for shade.
The roof venting system comes with a mesh screen to keep insects out. For keeping smaller items secure, the inside has two pockets with Velcro light loops. What makes the tent stand out from the rest is you can mount it over the rear or either side of your vehicle.
- Include a mattress
- Sleep, two people
- Weatherproof and fireproof
- Excellent venting system
- Will need the Front Runner Rooftop Kit to attach it to the roof rack
9. ARB Awning Room Tent
The following car camping tent works as a fully enclosed room, or you can use it like a mosquito net. You get weather protection as well and suitable to use with 4×4 recreational vehicles. The tent attaches to the awning structure, and the front mesh panel and exterior walls roll up with ease to create open space.
The zippered mesh panels you roll down at night to prevent bugs from entering your sleeping space. Furthermore, the product works with ARB4402A and 814201 awnings and attaches to the rope tracks and clips. The ceiling is separate to help with airflow and protection from the sun.
Further, you can unzip the rear wall for access to the vehicle and has mesh pockets to items. The ladder is removable, and you can relocate it to the LHS or RHS. You even get two zippered ports on the top corners for power cables. All accessories included for setting it up.
- Fabulous design
- Quick to set up and to take it down is easy
- Help keep water out and provides enough breeze on hot days
- Do not try to take it down in windy conditions as it will become like a kite
8. MSR HUBBA NX
For the best all-around camping experience, the HUBBA NX made for any outdoor adventure. The shelter is durable and easy to set up offering comfort on your camping trip. With the lightweight of 3 pounds, you can place it in the car for the next fishing trip.
The tepee has two doors and 29 square feet of living space with well-protected interior and exterior. You can use the vestibule freestanding as well. Furthermore, you can pack it down quickly for long treks as well.
- Lightweight for backpacking
- Small enough to keep in the car
- Easy to put up
- Wind and water-resistant
- The poles are straight at first but do bend with time
7. Nemo HORNET Tent
For weekend trails traveling by car to your destination, the Hornet car camping tents ideal to use with the ultra-light design. The 2-pound pack weights perfect for camping outdoors and keeps up to two people comfortably for the night. Furthermore, it comes with two doors and a vestibule with rainfly.
The poles are durable, and it has a light pocket to use your headlamp as a lantern on the inside. The stuff sacks allow two people to carry the tent comfortably and have mesh walls providing privacy.
- Comfortable for two people
- Compact to fit in a backpack for weekend trails
- Not as weatherproof as advertised
6. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL4 Tent
Here we have another excellent backpacker’s tent to load into the car for weekend trails. The shelter is big enough to sleep up to four people comfortably. The product weighs 5 pounds and features an interior 50-inch height for tall campers to feel at home.
Setting up the canopy assembles in minutes and has plenty of storage on the inside. You get eight pockets for keeping gear and four media pockets with cable routing options. Furthermore, it protects you from the wind and rain.
- Has two sizeable dual zipper doors
- Large interior to sleep up to four people
- Can make two rooms with the vestibules
- Storm flaps, eight pockets, and four media pockets
- Tent poles is not sturdy
5. Kelty Acadia 2 Tents
The next car camping tent has an affordable price and great for beginner campers with a limited budget. The fantastic thing is that the low budget tent has a durable design to withstand most weather conditions. Furthermore, two people can comfortably sleep in it.
The tepee is easy to set up and quick to take it down as well. There are two doors with a vestibule, internal storage pockets, stargazing fly, and has a freestanding design. On the other hand, it weighs 6 pounds, that is a bit heavy for backpacking but perfect for weekend camping.
- It is an affordable long term investment
- Easy to set up
- Both the fly and tent works well to give shelter
- When you disassemble the tent, the fiberglass poles hold the bent shape, and the stakes bend as well
4. Tepui Explorer Kukeman Rooftop Tent
The four-season car camping tent can endure all elements the environment throws at you. The shelter accommodates up to three people with the durable 600D ripstop fabric. With the poly-cotton construction, it keeps you dry from the most torrential wind and rain.
The structures treated for mold and UV while the mesh panels offer enough ventilation for airflow. On the inside are four storage pockets for gear. For sleeping comfortable, you get a foam mattress included.
- Easy to set up on your SUV with the help of another person
- With all the windows open you get an excellent cross breeze
- Outstanding customer service
- Simple setup with the help from family and friends
- Not completely weatherproof
3. Yakima Skyrise Rooftop Tent
Elevate yourself from the ground using the car camping tent from Yakima. The designs lightweight and robust accommodates up to three people. Included is a plush foam mattress to eliminate sleeping pads. The entire shelter and rainfly have a nylon construction while the latter has a PU coating to compel water.
The windows are lined with mesh for ventilation, and you have two skylights for stargazing. Furthermore, the framework is aluminum and comes with a foldout ladder. You attach the canopy to most factory fitted crossbars, racks, and chassis of the vehicle.
Further, it locks secure to the roof rack with SKS Lock Cores.
- You can leave it on the vehicle and opens/closes quickly
- Watertight and no water seeps through in a severe rainstorm
- Comfortable for three people to sleep in
- You will need help setting it up for the first time
2. Hasika Truck Foot Bed Tent
For finding your sleeping situation fast, especially when fishing or hunting the car camping tent from Hasika is ideal to use. The truck bed tent sets up quickly, and you can use it for various purposes. You can even use it as a pop-up shop or use it for tailgate parties. Furthermore, it has a durable polyester construction with a fiberglass/steel frame.
The ground materials are made of Oxford fabric and waterproof to keep the rain out. Therefore, if you go camping for the weekend, the shelter provides a sleeping place for up to three people to relax comfortably. You also get a carry bag to keep the tepee stored when not used.
- Made for a 5-foot truck bed
- Sets up quickly
- Opens and closes comfortably
- Does not fit all truck beds
1. Time Out Camping Trailers
Now if you do not own an SUV or truck and only a car or motorcycle look at this trailer from Time Out. With the deluxe camper, you have ample space for cargo and sleeping. The model closes small for towing and comes with a large setup. You get a private dressing room with sleeping space.
Each camper is equipped with a queen size air mattress and the windows tinted to keep the sunlight out. Furthermore, you can keep the A/C unit on at the same time to stay fresh. The fantastic thing is you can two it behind small to large vehicles as well. On the other hand, you can customize the trailer with add-ons to provide additional space.
- Expensive but worth it for camping anywhere by car
- Comes included with air mattress
- Keeps you dry during rainy seasons
- Suitable to use with both a car and motorbike
- Maybe a bit costly for some users
Essential Factors to Consider Buying a Car Camping Tent
To answer the above, it all depends on your camping needs and how many people you plan to take with you on the trip. Here are some factors to consider:
- The size – floor area plays an essential part when choosing a shelter to stay warm and dry outdoors. For people wanting to pack light the two-person tents ideal to use while you may need a larger one to accommodate more than two people. Furthermore, look at the interior height when it comes to using it with tall people.
- Doors – for one person using a tepee, a single entrance is ample enough but when it comes to more than one-person look for a tent with two doors or more.
- The weight – here it depends if the shelters set up on the truck or if you still need to unload it as a freestanding shelter. For backpacking, you need a lightweight tepee, and the same applies if you are one person needing to set the tent up.
- Style/weather – if you plan to camp a couple of times throughout the year in warmer climates having a weatherproof construction might not be a big issue. However, we recommend you get one that can withstand frequent showers and wind as it can still rain on warm days as well.
With the best car camping tent, there is no need of spending a fortune to stay in luxury hotels. You can find a backpacking tent to fit in the trunk. Or you can use a rooftop one to sleep comfortably above the ground. Whether it is an outdoor adventure, fishing trip, hunting trip, you can even find one to mount in between two trees here.